Monday, December 21, 2009

Up and Down

A few weeks ago, one of my friends from college ended her life after a year and a half long battle with post-pardum depression. She was a compassionate, selfless, generous friend, wife, and mother of three beautiful children. Since her passing, I have been struggling so hard with the thought that she was in so much pain and suffering, and I didn't even know. I have been trying to keep my eyes and ears more open to those who might be hurting around me, because you never really know what people are going through and how an extra hug or smile might make a difference in their day.
I have also come to truly understand and realize the importance of sharing our burdens and struggles, because the things that this life can throw at us are just too hard to bear alone. God is our Ultimate Comforter, but he gives us each other to help make the load seem a little lighter and bearable.
I truly believe that one of the biggest tools of Satan is to keep us isolated, feeling alone in our struggles. If he can keep us in bondage through secrecy, then depression and sadness have a greater power over us. That is why I think it is stressed over and over in scripture that we are supposed to "carry each others burdens" and "weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice." This life together is what the church was created to be, yet "church" is often the last place that people feel comfortable being themselves. I have no doubt that this life is meant to be shared, so that we can all realize that we are not alone, that our feelings and questions are normal, and that life's primary goal is helping one another experience the love of Jesus Christ.
With all that being said, I want to be completely transparent with you guys right now and ask for your prayers. This holiday season has taken a toll on me and I am having a really hard time. My mind bounces back and forth between feelings of thanksgiving and questions about why we don't have a child yet. Johnathan and I often joke around about how we feel schizophrenic sometimes, because our moods and perspectives on the situation can change about a hundred times a day. Typically, when one of us is up, the other is down, and so we are able to help each other through the hard days...but here recently we have both been in a slump. Occasionally one of us will have a strong moment and share a word of encouragement to the other, but most of our thoughts recently have been those of sadness and discouragement. So far the acupuncture has not really shown many improvements in my cycle, but we know that we must be patient and give it more time.
One thing I love about God is that he shows off the most through my weakness, so I am just putting them out there for Him to use. I am far weaker than I like to think I am, and I have not been doing a very good job of trusting Him lately. So, there it is. We need all of you right now praying for us, because you know that the desire of our hearts is for God to use this whole thing to bring glory to himself...and we don't want to get in the way of that.
We love you all, and hope that you know that we want to help you carry your burdens too. Please don't hesitate to share with us what we can be praying for you about and how we can help make your load easier. This journey is meant to be shared.

Brooke

5 comments:

  1. Brooke,

    Thank you for opening up your heart again to us! I am praying hard for this acupuncture to WORK! I know that is the desire of your heart! And, mine too! We love you guys so much! Can't wait to hug your necks over the holidays! You guys have been such an inspiration to us during our struggles this last year and have been there for us SO MUCH! We can't thank you enough. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it helps so much to sit down and write it all out. I know you are helping so many people through all of this. Marc and I will pray and pray until the day Baby Akin gets here! There can never be too many prayers lifted up. We have seen amazing things through the power of prayer, and you all are NO exception! I can't imagine how hard it is right now for y'all when you're supposed to be all happy and celebrating the season. Unless you're in that situation, people just don't realize how much pain you can feel when you are longing for a baby. It is an indescribable feeling. You know you don't have to always put on a brave face and I'm so thankful that we have learned that we can share everything with each other and trust that we can help each other through these hard times. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I know. I'm really looking forward to seeing the two of you tonight- I've been looking forward to it for awhile now! I think we're each comin' as we are, having walked through a difficult year, and it will be a great thing to fellowship together this evening. See you soon! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to feeling hopeful one minute, knowing that God will bring us a baby, then the next minute feel completely hopeless and wondering why it happens for so many other people. One of my New Years resolutions is to have less breakdown/negative days than I did in 2009. I am continuing to learn to trust God, to guard my heart, and to look only to Him. I pray along with you, that God's hand is on you and that you feel His presence walking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I 100% agree. We are meant to share our journies!! You continue to be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete