Thursday, November 26, 2009

Give Thanks in ALL Circumstances

"Be joyful always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - I Thess. 5:16-18

This has become one of my favorite verses over the years, and yet it is so hard to live out on a daily basis. The holidays can be a difficult and sad time for those struggling with infertility, especially when you see all of the special "family moments" going on around you and the precious pictures of children with Santa.
A few nights ago, Johnathan and I decided to go ahead and decorate for Christmas a little bit early so that it would all be done when we got back from Thanksgiving in Bowling Green. We got out all of our Christmas boxes from the storage closet and turned on some of our favorite Christmas music (We have a tradition of buying a new Christmas cd every year).
As we were getting everything out, Johnathan and I came across Christmas cards that we have kept from years past. We saw pictures of our best friends before they had babies and then the more recent pictures with their babies. We began to talk about how three years ago we just KNEW that the next Christmas we would have a child in our arms or one on the way, and then that year came and went. Two years ago we said the same thing, and then that year came and went. As this realization started to sink in, tears began to come to my eyes. We never expected that we were going to be waiting for so long and praying for something so hard...three years from that moment.
As I cried, my incredibly loving and wise husband gently reminded me that it was ok to be sad, but that we have SO much to be thankful for. And he is so right. We are so blessed to have our health, our wonderful families, our amazing friends, a warm home, and a God that loves us more than we could ever imagine. Life could be a lot worse and there really is no excuse for complaining. So today, on Thanksgiving, I want to proclaim the words of Psalm 136 - "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever."

On a side note, a little update...I had my first appointment with an infertility accupuncturist on Tuesday evening. (I know, it sounds weird and earthy. But after reading a LOT of literature on it, I can promise you that it is sound and worth giving a shot.) The experience was definitely a little strange. I mean, who can say that they enjoy getting needles stuck in their stomack, feet, hands, and ears!?! But at the same time, it was very relaxing and gives me hope that my hormones might become balanced and my reproductive health might be restored. If any of you want to know more about it, I will be happy to share details and statistics. For now, I just ask for your prayers that this treatment will be a more natural healing to my very confused body. We know that God is the Ultimate Physician, which is one reason why we are taking a break from all of the medications and drugs to try something a little different. More to come soon. Love you all!

Brooke

5 comments:

  1. I could just imagine you and Johnathan putting the tree up and listening to that Christmas music... I SO wish we could have been there with y'all! Please come help us decorate! So good to hang out with y'all last night and to have a crazy, fun, stress-free night! I miss those days with y'all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really hoping the accupuncture does exactly what it is meant to do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying that this new route will help and do what it's supposed to do...without all of the nasty side effects of the medicine! Love you guys. You are both an example to me in the way that you are handling this trial you're going through. Still praying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is listening and hears your cry. His timing is perfect. You words and heart inspired me in this post. Looking forward to seeing what God has in store for you with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    I just wanted to write to let you know that you have really been an encouragement to me this morning. I started off with a really hard morning, (you know like you said, how sometimes it just hits you! You don't even know you're about to be hit with a tidal wave of sadness, and then BAM!) So then I just started blog searching, and came across your blog, through Kelly's Korner. Anywho, I feel so parallel with what you and Johnathan have gone through. For us as well, 2009 was the hardest year to date. We did two IUI's and both were negative. We've done a hoard of other medications as well, but as of now, we have a peace about taking a break from medication. I have heard from a couple women about what acupuncture has done for them, and after reading about your experience with it just now, I have now just put in a couple calls to local acupuncturists! Well, so all that jibberish to say that you are encouraging and a light that I needed this morning. Sometimes prayer is difficult to help through the immediate pain, and reading encouragine words from those who are currently experiencing the exact pain that I am really helps. Thank you for your honesty and sweet spirit.

    ReplyDelete